Students aspiring to study in the topmost universities and colleges of the English-speaking world need to clear International English Language Proficiency Test. Non-native speakers of English have to show that they can read, write, speak , understand English, so as to be able to follow lectures, study, take exams, and interact comfortably with fellow students, teachers and the local population. For this purpose as well as for the purpose of immigration, a standardized English language proficiency test for non-native English speakers has been established as a pre-requisite for the selection process. IELTS is the world’s most popular English language proficiency test and a world of opportunity awaits those who clear the required scores.
What is IELTS?
The International English Language Testing System (IELTS) is conducted by three institutions, namely, The British Council, IDP IELTS Australia and Cambridge English Language Assessment (University of Cambridge).
IELTS is the most impartial and trustworthy English proficiency test available for the purposes of study, work, and immigration.
- Most academic institutions in English-speaking countries, like, Australia, Canada, New Zealand, the United Kingdom, and an increasing number of educational institutions in the United States, accept IELTS for study.
- For work purposes, many professional organizations recognize IELTS as the standard test.
- For migration, IELTS is required or accepted for permanent residency by the governments of the United Kingdom, Australia, New Zealand and Canada.
VALUE:IELTS is developed by education and language experts with a vast experience in teaching English, conducting exams and producing educational content.
- IELTS test material is exhaustively researched and is constantly in the process of being reviewed and updated by experts and
- In view of the varied backgrounds, nationalities, genders, of the people taking the IELTS exam, care is taken to ensure that the test is unbiased and neutral.
- It is an internationally relevant test, because it accepts both British and American spellings.
- The test makes use of Australian, British and American accents, thus covering the major English-speaking accents.
There are two versions of the IELTS test: IELTS Academic and IELTS General Training. The purpose of both tests is different and the one you take will depend on the requirements of the academic institution you plan to study in, your work/professional or visa requirements.
v IELTS Academic: This test is meant for students wishing to study at universities and institutes of higher education ¡n countries where English is the medium of instruction in the classroom. Many professions like, medical, nursing, engineering etc., also require an IELTS Academic result for registration. The Academic test is designed to assess the proficiency in English required in an academic and higher learning environment.
IELTS General Training:
This test is usually a visa requirement for those applying for permanent residency to English speaking countries, such as, the United Kingdom, Australia, New Zealand and Canada. Persons going to these countries for training programs, employment or secondary education, are required to take this test. IELTS General Training is intended to test the English skills that an immigrant or a worker would need for communication in the workplace and in an everyday environment.
- The IELTS test does not pass or fail a student, instead, the IELTS scoring system uses a band scale of 0 — 9 to assess the proficiency of the candidate.
- There are different band requirements for each country, frstitution, organization, and candidates will need to score accordingly.
- Sometimes the band requirements differ for visa and your chosen institution/organization/profession/employer.
- The IELTS test results have a validity of two years and you will be required to retake the test beyond that time period.
IELTS TEST FORMAT
The test is divided into two broad sections: Academic & General Training. Both versions of the test include the same Listening and Speaking components and different Reading and Writing components.
ACADEMIC – IELTS Academic is divided into four sections
GENERAL – IELTS General Training is also divided into four sections
HOW ARE BANDS ALLOTTED?
Candidates are judged on a band scale of 1 to 9 in each part of the test. These bands clearly mention a candidate’s ability to use and understand English IELTS results are valid only for 2 years. There is no pass or fail system in IELTS test.
- Band-0 No Original English
- Band-1 Non User
- Band-2 Intermittent
- Band-3 Extremely Limited
- Band-4 Limited
- Band-5 Modest
- Band-6 Competent
- Band-7 Good
- Band-8Very Good
- Band-9 Expert